Friday, June 24, 2005

Anniversaries!

Quote of the day: “The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.” ~Oscar Wilde

Song of the day: “Fast As You Can” Fiona Apple

State of mind: All right. Just glad it’s Friday.

Date: 6/24/05

1947- Idaho pilot Kenneth Arnold reports seeing flying discs over Washington’s Cascade MTS. And the term “flying saucer” is coined.

1996- I quit smoking. Well, not really. I mean, I don’t know the exact day you could mark down as the day I quit but it was in the end of June. I know this because I broke my leg in the beginning of June and it was my orthopedic surgeon that convinced me once and for all to stop. If you were trying to quit smoking I wouldn’t recommend breaking a bone in order to do so.
I did have one or two relapses after I quit but I don’t really count those because both times it was “a” cigarette and I didn’t have another one after. Once was while out at a bar with friends and it was one of the few times I wasn’t the DD, so I was drunk. Things don’t count if you do them while drunk… or in Las Vegas. It’s a rule. I can’t recall the other, but I bet the circumstances were similar.
For a while after I used to have dreams that I had a cigarette and I would wake up feeling awful. Like I had kicked someone’s puppy. How much guilt can a dream hold anyhow? Luckily, I haven’t had anymore of those either.
So, it has been 9 years and I can’t even remember what it felt like to be a smoker. I had to pick up a pack for my mother the other day and nearly had a coronary when I was told my total was over 6 dollars… for ONE pack! That’s insane. Even more insane then the actual smoking. I bet cocaine habits cost less.

Angel quote of the day:
Buffy: So you decided to punish her with a severe cuddling?!

14 comments:

John said...

Why would you feel bad about kicking a puppy? Did it go wide right like Scott Norwood's?

cali said...

Wow, that's one multi-talented orthopedic surgeon there. Yeah, its tough not to smoke in Vegas - but what happens there, stays there, so I guess its okay, right? (Going next month, already making excuses!).

cali said...

Oh, and I'm a Buffalo Bills fan and a shadow was just cast over my day.

NYPinTA said...

Your a Buffalo fan and the shawdow was cast just today??

John said...

Hey, how can the thought of a puppy sailing through the air, just missing the goal post not cheer you up?

NYPinTA said...

You are a sick sick man.

trinamick said...

How about if it's attached to a rope that's attached to you south of the border (and I don't mean Mexico). I bet that wouldn't cheer you up.

cali said...

Yeah, apparently I've been in denial for fourteen years.

NYPinTA said...

About puppies being tied 'south of the border'??!

mr. schprock said...

I'm an ex-smoker who has had that dream about smoking again. I've also had the one about being naked in high school during final exams. Just like everyone else has. Right? Right?

Uh oh.

cali said...

LOL! About "wide right" - I've been in denial about the puppies much longer....

Eddie said...

I couldn't agree more. I need some whiskey.

Spirit Of Owl said...

I think we're going to need a peace pipe at a pow-wow.

Juno said...

Hmmmmm . . . I want to be punished with severe cuddling.

Good luck with kicking the smoking habit! :)