Thursday, May 12, 2005

In the News

Quote of the Day: “CNN is one of the participants in the war. I have a fantasy where Ted Turner is elected president but refuses because he doesn't want to give up power.” ~Arthur C. Clarke

Song of the Day: ‘Sickness’ by Disturbed

State of Mind: eh

Date: 5/12/05

On our local news yesterday they were doing an “in depth” look at the safety of our school buses. All day they ran commercials saying, “These busses have been banned in several states for being unsafe. We’ll tell you which schools in our area are still using them.” Uh.. ok. Notice how they don’t say whether or not they are banned in THIS state. Shouldn’t the story BE the BUSSES and if they are banned in other states and why not this one? If they weren’t banned then why is it so surprising that the schools would still be using them? All this story can do is stir up trouble for the schools. How much money do most schools have anyhow? They are always firing teachers and getting rid of programs for lack of funds, but they are supposed to buy new buses every year apparently. I didn’t know that. It just bugs me that they could have done the story and brought forth the issue that kids are on dangerous busses without pointing fingers at the schools that so far are doing nothing wrong, according to the State that is, buy using them still. And… those busses look JUST LIKE the ones I rode to school on every day! Those bastards. I knew they were trying to kill me.

Also, there is a new ad telling everyone how the cigarette companies are still targeting kids by pointing out that they spend 25 million a year on ads in magazines for the teen set. Here’s a question: how did those ads get in there? Why isn’t some of the blame placed on the shoulders of the people who put the magazines together and sell the ad space? They know their target audience. If it’s Teen People, they shouldn’t sell ad space to Smirnoff Vodka or Marlboro Cigarettes.

And yet, more words of wisdom: the Final Jeopardy clue the other day was about an isle in the Mediterranean that had the same name as the nickname President Garfield gave to his wife. My mother turned to me and said, "I sure hope it wasn't the Isle of Lesbos." Ha.

7 comments:

cali said...

They ARE the same busses you went to school in every day.
I haven't been watching Jeopardy recently (NBA playoff conflicts) but I wish Alex Trebec had said that.
(btw - i added a question for you)

trinamick said...

The correct answer is "What is the Isle of Lesbos?"

I think they should put seat belts in busses. I had fat kids in my class. If we'd have rolled, they'd have made flesh pancakes outta the rest of us.

NYPinTA said...

I think they tried that with the seatbelts and the kids just used them to hit each other. *sigh* Typical.
I think maybe they should use those roller coaster type shoulder braces. You sit, the driver hits a button and they come down and lock into place.

Henry said...

I love those local news exposes--they had one a few years ago that was about milk: "A gallon of milk--OR IS IT? See how much milk you are actually getting"--can you believe that shit!!!
Speaking of busses-ever see one of the videotapes of bus accidents? I know its probably scary-but I cant help but laugh. the camera stays motionless and the kids all in unison get lifted out of the seat and then tossed around--its hilarrrrrrious. In a sick way.

Stellar said...

My bus was half the length of the others. Mommy said it was because I was special.

mr. schprock said...

I remember wishing they could have made buses that weren't so bumpy and bouncy, because when the bus finally arrived at the school, I had to wait a little while before I could get up to leave.

Maybe the guys know what that means.

mr. schprock said...

OK, I just checked with the guys in the office and no one knows what I just alluded to means, at least until I explained it to them. And then they claimed it never happened to them. So I guess I'm the only one in the world. Fine, I'm a freak of nature. I can deal with that.