Monday, May 02, 2005

HG2G- a review. Sorta.

Quote of the Day: “So long, so long, so long, so long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!” The dolphins.

Song of the Day: ‘Something to Be’ by Rob Thomas

State of Mind: Disorganized, yet optimistic.

Date: May 2, 2005

I can’t believer that it is May already. Yesterday was my nephew’s birthday. I think he is 11. Or 10. Whatever.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com He's only 4 here. Isn't he a cutie?!
In honor of his birthday, I went and saw Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Ok, it wasn’t in honor of his birthday. I would have gone and seen it anyhow.
I thought it was a lot of fun, but then I have been a fan of the books since I was 12. I can still remember sitting on the floor of Kmart by their very limited book section and seeing the cover of the paperback with the words ‘Don’t Panic’ and a cartoon planet sticking his tongue out. I spent most of my Christmas money on all four in the series, and an ewok. (What can I say, I was 12!!)
I haven’t read them in a very long time, so there wasn’t a particular scene that I was looking for, but the movie seemed short somehow. The only thing that I knew they had skipped was mentioning that the man who is trying to knock down Arthur’s house was a descendent of Ghengis Khan. I missed that. LOL.
I liked whom they had chosen to play the various parts, but I did imagine them slightly differently as I was reading the books.
Here is how:
Arthur: I pictured him a little ganglier, maybe because Zaphod kept calling him “apeman”.
Ford: as a blonde. Don’t ask me why.
Zaphod: not wearing a shirt. Again, don’t ask, but whenever I would picture him, he seemed like the type of guy that would smoke cigarettes while driving one of those speedboats that flip over at the slightest whim… all the while with his shirt off.
Trillian: I imagined her as a little more harsh.
Marvin: not as round.
I am glad I was wrong on all points however. The only thing that bugged me was that they seemed to whiz by the jokes in the dialogue. Maybe I just read too slowly. LOL. Whatever.
After the movie was over, I did a little shopping, got my Mother’s Day purchases out of the way, and bought myself some CDs. One of which was Rob Thomas’s new one. Normally, I like my music a little more obnoxious, but he writes some damn fine lyrics. And he was born the same year as me. It is a little disheartening to have so few celebrities that were born in 1972. I don’t know why. So when I find one, I tend to root for them just a bit extra. As of this post, I have only found: Rob Thomas, Gwyneth Paltrow, Cameron Diaz, and the hunky doc on ER, Goran Visnjic. (Oh! I just checked IMDB and apparently Claudia Black of Farscape was also born in 1972. I knew there was reason Aeryn Sun kicked so much ass! ;) )
On my way home, as I went to get on the thru-way, the sign showing which lanes were open said this: Lanes open: “42”. No kidding. Guess it really is the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything.

6 comments:

Henry said...

Sometimes things just work out don't they?
:)
Yeah I'm in a good, yet nostalgic 'state of mind' today.

trinamick said...

Loved the movie too. I had always pictured Zaphod as being like Kurt Russell in Captain Ron. Marvin just cracked me up - he was so cute. And having Alan Rickman's voice was hilarious to me. I'm hoping that the reason they skipped some of the plot points from the book is that they need something for a sequel. Here's hoping.

NYPinTA said...

Fingers crossed!

SO LONG THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH said...

Guess what?

I found the

HITCHHIKERS DOLPHINS T-SHIRT

on the Internet!! They are here:

http://www.cafepress.com/00ps/458133

Jim Donahue said...

If you're interested, you can stream the original version (the radio series came before the book)of Hitchhiker's Guide here: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-browse?sh=1&button=Browse&dir=%2Fpub%2F.arch-download%2Fhhgttg&sort=type

Sorry about the long URL.

NYPinTA said...

Cool. And I bet the audio version deviates from the printed verions of the radio scripts, which deviates from the TV show, which deviates from the books.