Thursday, May 26, 2005

HAVA and Livers and Eye Candy

Quote of the Day: “I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.” ~George Carlin

Song of the Day: “Complicated Questions” by Finger 11

State of mind: disorganized

Date: 5/26/05

I am beginning to loath Thursdays. They never bothered me before, but now they are. Or maybe it’s all this rain ticking me off.
I am ‘blogging’ about this because I used to be an inspector for elections here. It is soooo damn boring, but somebody has to do it, right? I spent one Election Day standing next to the voting machine and my job was to push a button each time someone entered the machine. It had to be done because the machine keeps track of how many people have voted on it, and that number better match the one on the back and the number manually written down by another election inspector. It’s a good system actually, if a bit redundant…. But of all things that should have redundancy, I would think how we vote should be one of them.
Anyhow, NY State is about to miss the deadline for millions of dollars of Federal Money to aid us in updating our voting machines… but my question is: Who cares? Why should we have to switch to computerized machines that have been proven time and time again to be faulty when the machines we have work? We don’t use punch cards. There is nothing wrong with our system, so why should it matter if we don’t get the new ones that can be tampered with and give false results? None of this makes sense to me, but instead of any of our legislators asking that question, they are busy blaming each other for the delays.
Whatever.
The Help America Vote Act never should have been passed. It was too reactionary and didn’t actually solve problems; it made more of them. Just because you can use fancy new computerized voting machines doesn’t mean you should.

After I read that story, this one caught my eye:

Great-grandmother gives birth to twins 5/26/2005
FORT PAYNE, Ala. -- A 57-year-old great-grandmother who gave birth to a set of twins last month said Thursday she danced with her husband only hours after the delivery.

I guess it really is never too late…

I have another question. Where are the Culture Of Life people for this? My mother first told me this story about the man on death row and his sister who needs a liver transplant and the state won’t even delay his execution to do a transplant. Why should it matter if he dies in May or in August? No one is asking that he be taken off death row. They just want to give her a chance to live and if he is willing to do it, then they should do it.
I can see that some might be worried that people on Death Row could be used as spare parts, which is not right, but this guy is family and he wants to do it, which makes it different IMO.

Angel quote of the day! Season 1 Episode 2.
Cordelia: “Hey, you look troubled . . . or is that just your lazy eye?”

Lastly, since my post with Obi Wan goodness is now off this page, I need to add some more eye candy.
Ta da! Karl Urban… he needs to be in more movies.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

19 comments:

John said...

That guy looks like...actually I don't have anything for this one. Damn.

Spirit Of Owl said...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? Pah! If it works, computerise it. That ought to totally f*** it up. And, death row is an abomination in a supposedly advanced, democratic country.

But, most important of all, that freaky picture is giving me the bloody creeps!

NYPinTA said...

Freaky? Freaky?!

Did John tell you to say that?

NYPinTA said...

"That guy looks like...actually I don't have anything for this one."

Tee hee! Victory is mine!

LucyDDCF said...

the man in question on death row has the hepititis B virus and was declined 2 months ago for giving the transplant.

trinamick said...

What did that guy play in? I swear I'm not channeling John, I just don't recognize him.

cali said...

Why is it that the voting machines only seem to not work in the "red just by a few votes" states? And why would the government not fund the instillation of machines that can be tampered with in a blue state?

I'm with Owl on the death row thing - and on the freaky pic - ewww!

NYPinTA said...

He was Eomer in Lord of the Rings and he played Ceasar on Xena, (and Cupid!) And he was in the Bourne Supremacy.

cali said...

Well, I had to go check it out after reading Lucy's comment. Yeah, it seems the medical advice was that he was an unsuitable donor since he was HBV positive. He was executed yesterday. The culture of life folks can rest assured that no life was destroyed in order to save a life.

NYPinTA said...

Bad CNN for not putting that in their story!!
I sent them an email asking about it... lets see how they respond! They better fess up.

Spirit Of Owl said...

I wasn't "channeling John" either (weird thought Trinamick...), honest!

But that picture of that bloke makes me feel like I've been covered in oil, cornflakes and jam and licked clean by a pair of camels in bright pink tutus. That's how freaky that picture is making me feel. It's not right. Eww. Make it stop... Arrgghhhh....

LucyDDCF said...

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7972728/

"The governor’s office released a letter Daniels received from two transplant doctors who said the presence of a hepatitis B antibody in Johnson’s system and his heavy body weight made him unsuitable as a donor"

John said...

For the record, it's not that I don't know who these guys are (except that last guy) I just like saying they look like other people.

NYPinTA said...

Update: CNN still hasn't fessed up.

trinamick said...

Well, I must admit, I did think he looked a little like Peter Pan.

NYPinTA said...

et tu, trina?

John said...

Ohh...he looks like an even gayer Ricky Martin. There we go. I was off my game yesterday.

NYPinTA said...

What!!?Did you not see Lord of the Rings?!? He does not look gayer then Ricky Martin?!?
Geez!

Spirit Of Owl said...

Ricky Martin wishes he looked as gay as this guy. And how you can bring up the Lord of the Rings in his defence is beyond me. Oooo, stop those blummin' orcs, someone, or I'll get ever so cross.

More hideous Urban nightmares here. Ugh.