Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Ebay is the Devil

Quote of the Day: “The multitude of books is making us ignorant.” ~Voltaire

Song of the Day: “Head Like a Hole” by NIN. (The live version from Woodstock 94.)

State of mind: kind of annoyed, but able to contain it.

Date: 5/17/05

I try not to go onto Ebay very often and I can’t recall why I did this last time, but I was there and so was this book… a book that is hard to get. It was a first edition too. The seller was in England so the highest bid was in pounds not dollars. That’s ok. I just googled for 'exchange rates' and figured out the most I was willing to pay. I waited until just 1 minute before the auction was up to put in my bid and was rewarded with yet another Ebay victory. Man I love my Internet connection at work! But, my joy was short lived when I realized I had calculated incorrectly with the exchange rates. Actually, I got it completely backwards, and instead of paying half as much as I thought, I ended up paying twice as much as I bid.
I. Feel. Dumb.
I got the book yesterday. The seller gift-wrapped it in shiny Christmas paper. I think he knew my mistake too and was enjoying it a bit. Jerk. ;)
Oh well. I don’t care. I love the book and I am going to keep it forever. Can’t afford not too.

BTW- Two days till the end of Star Wars.

15 comments:

trinamick said...

That's why I never order things outside the U.S. I know I would screw it up, and one of my kidneys would have to be sold to pay for my purchases.

trinamick said...

On the up side, I just sold a CD on eBay for $5.99 more than I paid for it in the first place. Sucker.

Stellar said...

So are you going to tell me what the book was or do I have to assume it was 19th century erotica?

NYPinTA said...

Damn! I knew I paid too much!!

Anyhow... no. I still have all my internal organs. But suddenly the idea of selling some of my eggs to couples that want children, (or to some Mengala type psycho scientist that would use them to create super humans), seems like a reasonable thing to do.

NYPinTA said...

"...19th century erotica..."

Why 19th century?

Stellar said...

Cause that shit is sooooo hot.

NYPinTA said...

okay....

You like wearing the corsets, don't you?

John said...

I'll sell my seed to make super humans. That'd be cool, an army of super-mes that sporadically update their blogs! On second thought, an army of me would be pretty useless, even super-mes. I just wanted to say "seed."

NYPinTA said...

" I just wanted to say "seed." "
Then say it on your own blog! *grr*

BTW- I read "super-mes" as "super-mess". Wierd, huh?

LucyDDCF said...

that's odd, i've been highly annoyed all day to. You gonna give in and tell us what the heck the book was that you bought?

NYPinTA said...

No.
Maybe I should ask people to bid on the answer like Carley Simon did with her song "You're So Vain" with the same provision that whoever has the winning bid keep my secret.

Jim D. said...

I used to use eBay all the time. But I got tired of people swooping in at the last second and winning things away from me.

Another reason to hate eBay: I was selling a videotape and wrote a pretty funny blurb for it. Then another seller put the same tape up for sale while mine was still up, stole the copy I had written--word for word!--and sold his copy for about $5 more than I got for mine. That REALLY pissed me off.

LL said...

I don't think you'd get many high bids...


Oh, and with exchange rates, it goes like this. If you're buying, it's always double what you think, if you're selling, it's always half...

Jim D. said...

To clarify, I meant "stole my ad copy." He didn't actually come to my house and steal my copy of the tape.

NYPinTA said...

"...stole the copy I had written--word for word!--"
What an ass!
If it makes you feel any better, I have serious mean feelings for that guy. Hope he stubs his toe... a lot.