Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Deface my case?! I don't think so.

Quote of the Day: “Only sick music makes money today.” ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Song of the Day: “Hand That Feed” by NIN

State of mind: better then yesterday

Date: 5/24/05

After I went to the movies this past Sunday, I bought myself a couple of CDs, (have to keep the ‘Song of the Day’ fresh!). I went to FYE at the mall and after standing in front of the DVD collection of the first three Star Wars movies and resisting the urge to purchase them, which was very hard by the way, I bought the new NIN CD.
I hadn’t been paying attention, but when I got home and pulled out the miles of register tape that was my receipt, I noticed the rebate offer on page two. They wanted to give me 3 dollars back on my purchase. Cool! I could use 3 dollars. Then I read what they wanted. Naturally they wanted the receipt and the form with my name and address of where to send my money, but they also wanted the UPC code from off the CD. And they wanted the original. No copies allowed.
I can’t do it. I can’t deface my CD case like that. It’s a NIN CD! They don’t come in the usual jewel cases. It’s cardboard only and to get the UPC code I would have to cut the case itself.
If they are going to have rebate offers like that, they should include something inside the CD case that can be used as proof of purchase in order to get whatever they are offering. It’s one thing to chop off the back of a cereal box to collect enough proofs of purchase for that nifty decoder ring, but this is different. Not by much, but there’s a principal here… even if I don’t know what of!
So, I guess I won’t be getting my 3 dollars. Too bad, I could of bought a…um… well, damn. You can’t really get anything for 3 dollars anymore can you?

12 comments:

steve t said...

How is Trent's latest offering? I was gonna buy it but then i listened to the free 20 sec or so from some of the songs on iTunes and they all sounded kinda samey - but what can you tell from that.
Or, if you tell me the three best songs, i can buy them for $2.97 - less than three dollars!

NYPinTA said...

I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole thing yet. Only the first four songs.
He does have a very distinct sound which is so recognizable that you have to hear a song a few times to really hear the differences, but like wallpaper that doesn't line up, once you notice them you never not notice them...
The second song "You Know What You Are?" is pretty cool. But actually, it should be titled, "You Know Who the Fuck You Are?" LOL. No kidding.

Henry said...

that is odd--I know on some dvd and the old school vhs's they had nifty little tags you could pull off without cutting the whole darn box. Thats just silly--they KNOW you wont cut the disc and send it in. Its like saying send us the whole cd in its original case and we will send you a FOUR DOLLAR rebate! Yay!
Well not really but it still stinks

trinamick said...

I'm too cheap to buy new CDs anymore. I buy them off eBay, burn them onto my computer, and resell them. Best of both worlds, eh? Course I don't keep them in the original case, so I wouldn't mind cutting it up to save money. $3.00 will buy a lot of Ramen noodles!

LucyDDCF said...

call the label company and COMPLAIN or purchase a CD case.. cut the beep beep cardboard and ohhhhh... here is an orginal idea... slide it into the little slot in your new CD case...

NYPinTA said...

"I buy them off eBay, burn them onto my computer, and resell them."
I should do that, but I'm kinda lazy.
Even if I never take this CD off my CD rack again, I will always know that there is a big hole in it. It's the only thing I get worked up about... my CDs being put away neatly and in alphabetical order... My CDs and my book. The rest, whatever. LOL. Sad, but true.

LucyDDCF said...

well i read somewhere that www.pabo.com has a clearance section, maybe u could pick something up there for 3 bucks

Spirit Of Owl said...

I'm sooo anal about my CD/video/DVD/book collections that it's frankly embarrassing. It verges on Asperger's. The thing is, in this house, nothing is sacred so people just mess up my careful sorting for no other earthly reason than just to get on my tits!

Now I'm mad, I suggest you send in the receipt in a plastic bag along with three dollars worth of mixed fish and chicken bones and a note saying "BITE ME!"

Or, don't. Y'know. :-)

Stellar said...

Was there a UPC sticker on the impervious plastic wrap?

mr. schprock said...

Send the entire CD case with a self-addressed stamped envelope for them to mail it back in. Your rebate should cover the cost of postage. Problem solved.

NYPinTA said...

"Was there a UPC sticker on the impervious plastic wrap?"


Now what the hell kind of logical question is that?! You offend me with your common sense. :P

Crap.

Stellar said...

:)