Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Breath

Quote of the Day: “I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.” ~Woody Allen

Song of the Day: ‘Serenity’ by Godsmack

State of Mind: perpetually five minutes slow.

Date: 5/11/05

One of our mechanics has Cystic Fibrosis. His brother died of it and he has been fighting it himself for quite a few years now. About 4 years ago, he was told he had six months, unless he got a lung transplant. He stuck it out for about another year and a half before he got one. The doctor he had is a freaking miracle worker and kept him going long enough for lungs to be available. He had the surgery and was doing ok. He even had a baby… well, he didn’t, but you know what I mean. Things were going smoothly for about a year when rejection happened. His doctor once again had to perform miracles and get him another transplant, which we just found out he did last week. So this is just a request for good thoughts for the guy. Even when he was here before his first transplant and sick as hell, he still ran circles around our ‘healthy’ mechanics.
Sometimes I think about the fact that my lungs, despite things I have done to them, are relatively healthy and yet I do nothing with them… except when I’m singing in my car when stressed. My CD of choice is Fiona Apple’s Tidal because you can really belt out those songs and she stays in my range. Can’t work out stress if you voice is cracking because someone is singing treble when you’re an alto. Anyhow… I can, at these times, feel a bit guilty for being healthy and wasting it. So, maybe tomorrow I’ll start training to run marathons. Or at least take a walk… farther then from my fridge to my computer.

On an unrelated note: I got another catalog from the BOMC and found 7 books I just have to have and 4 or 5 that would just be cool. *sigh* How much leniency will the courts have on me when they find out I’m filing for bankruptcy because I can’t resist the BOMC? Any?
Yeah, didn’t think so.

13 comments:

Stellar said...

I don't think book addiction made the exceptions list on the new bankrupcy reforms (AKA the Let's Give Corporations a Blowjob Act of 2005).

I hope the lungs take this time. I know people given perfectly good lungs who screw them up, get cancer or emphasima and still continue to smoke. It sucks that some people are given the shaft. I hope everything works out.

mr. schprock said...

I knew someone who married a guy with CF. Her friends privately wondered why she did it because back then (1980-ish) people with that condition died. Maybe a lot of them still do. I remember he had gray teeth, which I guess was due to the drugs he took.

Stellar, I just read your treatise on Radiohead and black situation comedies. Because I'm old and out of it, I only recently discovered Radiohead. I think they're geniuses.

Stellar said...

I have a blog? Wicked!!!

NYPinTA said...

"I have a blog? Wicked!!!"

*Heavy sigh and rolling eyes*

:P

Stellar said...

:P

trinamick said...

My uncle had emphysema and continued to smoke while on oxygen. They should have ripped out his lungs years before and given them to someone who wasn't a self-abusing jackass.

I've always wondered if the reason people marry terminally ill people is because they're a little too fixated on the "til death do us part" portion of the vows. That way, after a few years, they can play the field again.

Stellar said...

:P8-:)

steve t said...

Yeah, I'm one of those idiots who abused his lungs for many years (i quit some years ago), so I have every excuse to feel more guilt than y'all! Good luck to the guy though, hopefully they will have learnt something from the first rejection that will help them prevent another.

btw - am i the only person in the world to not like radiohead?

Stellar said...

No, you're not the only one. OJ Simpson, Robert Blake and Jon Benet Ramsis' parents also don't like Radiohead.

steve t said...

At least you didn't include Michael Jackson.

mr. schprock said...

I'm sure Josef Stalin wouldn't have liked Radiohead.

To be honest, much as I like them, if you were locked in a room listening to their music all day, it would be best to have a some Zoloft on hand.

LucyDDCF said...

Give Dan my best. He is a fantastic person, most likely a great dad, and THE best tech I've ever worked with. You know he told me one day that he only pays bill's on one Sunday a month and everyone would have to wait. For some reason that always stuck in my mind.

NYPinTA said...

I think maybe it is that kind of stubborness that kept him going as long as it has. He should keep it up! :)