Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Parallel Worlds.

Quote of the Day: "All of this will be for nothing if we do not go to the stars." J. Sinclair~ Babylon 5

CD of the Day: None. Radio

Mood: Good.

Date: 3/15/05

My first book review... sort of.
I, the girl trying to save money for a house, got my order in the mail last night from the BOMC. I placed the order on my way to a victorious sale and profit of a whopping 2.74 on Amazon.com. I suck at saving money. Anyhow, as I joyously pried open the cardboard to release my most recent selections I figured, hell, house schmouse.
Even with only one night to peruse my newest books I am totally recommending one already: "Parallel Worlds" by Michio Kaku, who is a professor in Theoretical Physics at CUNY. And this is what I am basing my recomendation on:
1) The cover is cool. Forget that old saying. It ain't true. Good books have cool covers. Good books also have bad covers, but whatever. This one is cool.
2) He has a Book Recommendation list. Great. Listed on it were other books by other smart guys about pretty much the same subject. I am guessing he is recommending these particular books because they back up his own. Plus, half the guys on the list wrote glowing reviews that got put on the back cover of his. But when I went to the very first book listed, I just started laughing. It was, and I kid you not: "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams. How can you not love a Theoretical Professor that includes the silliest and most hilarious book ever written on a list along with books like "Men of Mathmatics" by E.T. Bell or "Quantum Profiles" by Jeremy Bernstein? He also recommends Philip K. Dick, Isaac Asimov, and Larry Niven. Sweet!
And that's it. Go buy the book... and if you would be so kind, explain it to me when you're done. Thanks.

On the subjects of books, while out grocery shopping the other day I bought a paperback copy of "The Bourne Identity" by Robert Ludlam. Now, I have already seen the movie... several times in fact, but I was curious as to how much it deviated from the book so I picked one up. (Can anyone say impulse buy?) I'm halfway through it and I have to say I like the movie better. So far the only things that are the same are the names, and that Bourne wants to get to Paris. That's pretty much it. Oh, and it starts off with Bourne in water. How things happen in the movie actually make more sense and the Jason Bourne of the book is a little too James Bond for me. (Hey, they even have the same initials! Coincidence? I think not.) "Hmm.. parallel worlds they are, maybe?" the little Yoda in my head asks. Sure Yoda. Sure.

2 comments:

steve t said...

Yeah, right, you'll buy a book from some theoretical physics professor from CUNY but still not read my science blog!
btw - what's the "C" in CUNY?
:)

NYPinTA said...

C stands for City.
I never said I didn't read your blog... I just don't comment. :P