Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Why am I not dead yet? Part II ~ Trees

I love trees. I think they are beautiful. Graceful expressions of the perfect balance between shadow and light. Apparently however, trees hate me.
I planted a willow tree when I was 5 in our side yard. I used a cutting from our neighbor's willow up the street because I was jealous that my sister got a sapling from Sunday School and I didn't. Her's died, mine grew. Heh. It got to be about 3 stories high in just a few years too.
When I was 8 I climbed my willow all the way to the tippy tippy top and for fun I grabbed onto some of the outer branches and leapt off the branch I was standing on to swing out. That used to scare the hell out of my sister, which was motivation enough for me... The next year I did it again. Either I got heavier or the branches got weaker, but when I grabbed onto them this time they didn't hold my weight. Three stories below I landed on my back. Hard.
My sister screamed, my mother came running, and I can still cleary recall that as I lay there on the ground wiggling around gasping for air because the impact knocked it out of me my mother standing over me and saying: "Well, that's what you get stupid." I don't think she liked children.
Having learned my lesson, the next year as I sat in our mullberry tree I decided to tie myself to it so I couldn't fall out. Seemed the foolproof plan. Secure in the knowledge that I wouldn't do myself grevious bodily harm I sat there happily munching on fresh mullberries while pretending the tree was a spaceship, or a castle in an enchanted forest, or whatever. It was a blissful afternoon...until I heard it. Ever hear a tree groan in the wind?
It was like that, except inexplicably, the sound was coming from beneath me. Before I could make sense of the noise the tree fell over. IT FELL. With me in it.
*Heavy sigh*
I finally took the hint. Haven't been in a tree since.
I still think they are beautiful, I just plan to admire them only from the ground from now on.

10 comments:

Mr. Gibe said...

Monkey brain... interesting. Yeah, I don't think trees like you...

steve t said...

You tied yourself to the tree? "Well, thats what you get stupid!"

Yeah, good idea, steer clear of 'em.

NYPinTA said...

In my defense, I was 10.
No one is brilliant at 10. Well, except maybe Beethoven...

NYPinTA said...

And who thinks a tree is going to fall?!? LOL. I didn't.

trinamick said...

That's quite a blow to the self-esteem when you start knocking trees over. Almost like breaking a chair. :P

NYPinTA said...

LOL. Yeah, thanks. ;)
Well, it could have been a blow but a few years later when there were more berries on the tree then usual another branch fell from the extra weight of them. Not a strong tree...

NineToez said...

Treens groan in the wind?

NYPinTA said...

I don't know if treens do ;), but trees do when the wind is blowing hard enough. It's kind of creepy actually.

Nhoj said...

Trees can boom pretty good too. Twenty below zero degrees F. is just to cold to be in the woods. I must have been nuts. Oh, wait a minute... you find nuts in the woods don't you? Nevermind...

trinamick said...

We had tree houses and escape routes and ladders built into nearly every tree on our property. My mother gave up on having a lady-like child. It was too hard to cover up scrapes and bruises with a dress.