Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Like Butter

Quote of the Day: "I feel like such a tart." Peter Wingfield

CD of the Day: Harder to Breath~ Maroon 5

Mood: eh

Date: 2/1/05

It occurred to me the other day that the best way to describe how I write is this: like butter. Not the Mike Myers SNL Transvestite skit discussing Barbara Streisand’s voice, but the actual milk churned product. More precisely it is like trying to spread butter that is too cold on toast. Sure, it is thick and smooth in some sections but then it skips and leaves very dry patches. (I guess that would make toast the paper.)
I find that the more I write, the more I want too, but conversely the more I write, the crappier it is. I am sure that there is a math principle to explain this, but I have no idea what it is. It just seems like the well only holds so much water and it needs refilling from time to time.
But, a body in motion tends to stay in motion, right? And the opposite is true, so sucky or not, I am trying to keep the momentum going. (Which has nothing to do with butter, but I liked the analogy so I opened with it…how many have I used since then?)
I think that may be why I started this blog. Practice. And for the attention. ;)
For a while I was hooked on haiku’s. I think it was because they were small… 5,7,5, easy as pie. You would think so, right? But, sometimes squishing an idea into 17 syllables is no easy feat. The trick seems to be to use small words, or one very long word. (Actually, three… but what kind of haiku would only have three words?)
Representatives
Pontificatingly (is)
Odoriferous

Ok, so I couldn’t do it. I needed four… and the second word isn’t even a word… (but it should be.)
As I said: like butter; butter that has been on the counter too long and melted, and gets that dull scum on the top.
Ick.










3 comments:

trinamick said...

The first thing that popped into my head when I saw the title was Mike Myers. Great minds think alike! Or is that criminal minds?

I've gotta find a way to add pontificatingly to my boss's word-a-day e-mail. That would really freak him out.

Anonymous Midwest Girl said...

I've noticed the same thing...the more I write, the less funny and worse it is.

But I like to write, so oh, well.

AMG
http://anonymousmidwestgirl.blogspot.com

NYPinTA said...

Wow... two comments, and on the same day I posted! Am I becoming a 'destination blog'?
Didn't think so... LOL.

Trin: it is criminal minds that think alike. ;)

MidWestGirl: even on days your writing isn't so hot, just the fact that The Princess Bride is your favorite movie means you have an inherent and large NON-Sucking factor. Just sayin. :)